|Position Description || |
Performs varied clerical and technical tasks in support of the department, specifically related to radioactive, hazardous, and biohazardous waste, following internal procedures and external safety regulations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
* Removes chemical, biological and radioactive waste from on-site and off-site laboratories, including Calibr and transports it to the processing facility.
* Processes (including segregation, bulking, compacting, crushing) and packages chemical and biological waste for off-site disposal.
* Dispenses chemicals (ethanol) as ordered by laboratories
* May perform monthly fire extinguisher and safety shower/eyewash inspections
* Performs radioactive contamination surveys: selects surfaces to test, performs wipe tests and places wipe in scintillation counter for analysis, decontaminates facilities and equipment utilizing absorbent material and decontamination solutions, verifies successful decontamination.
* Operates and calibrates various monitoring instruments using a portable pulse generator and sealed radioactive check sources, and interprets measurements/findings.
* Processes incoming packages of radioactive materials, biological and/or controlled substances;
* Processes Decay In Storage (DIS) dry solid waste.
* Processes discharges to sanitary sewer including collection, sampling, pouring and all associated paperwork.
* Provides basic technical guidance to research employees in the areas of, chemical hygiene, personal protective equipment, chemical and biohazardous waste management, radiation protection, radiation instrumentation and radioactive waste management.
* Coordinates and performs lab/facility decommissioning and decontamination.
* Maintains inventory of group supplies; replenishing as necessary;
* Assist in spill response and remediation as necessary.
* Performs monthly Spill Prevention Control Countermeasure (SPCC) inspections and records results.
* Washes, sterilizes and disinfects laboratory glassware. Retrieves and/or delivers glassware from/to the appropriate laboratories. Maintains glass washing equipment and facility.
* Performs other related duties, tasks, and responsibilities as required or assigned.
s as required or assigned.
|Physical Requirements: || |
This position works in other than a typical office environment which may include offices, laboratories, and vivariums. With or without reasonable accommodation, employees in this position must be able to lift 50 pounds. Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
|Basic Qualifications: || |
* High school diploma, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
* 2+ years of environmental health and safety experience performing similar or related work.
* Bachelor degree in physical science or a related discipline preferred, may be considered in lieu of required experience.
* Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
* Effective verbal and written communication skills.
* Must possess a valid driver’s license issued by the state in which the position is located and possess a good driving record.
|EEO Statement || |
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.